30 December 2009

Tablet computers

There's talk about a new Apple computer, possibly to be called iSlate, that will do all sorts of amazing things--open web pages, show TV, enable you to type. In other words, do lots of stuff we already do, but make it easier to combine the activities. I was caught up in the buzz for a brief moment, but then reality intruded. What do I really want my computer to do, and be?

First, I want it light weight, durable, environmentally friendly (no toxins in production, use or recycling), easy on the eyes (the screen, not its fashion design trappings), protected from power surges and I don't want it getting hot as I use it (my old laptop burns my knees after a few minutes of use). Nice if I could solar power the energy, too.

Second, I want it to be fast, easy to use and connect with everything.  I don't want Apple to lock us into content sources as they tried with iTunes.

Third is a question for me. What would I use a tablet computer for? I'd like to be able to read magazines and newspapers on it, but that means it must change pages swiftly and smoothly and have a great read screen. Being able to read ebooks would be useful, maybe split the screen like the open two pages of a book. Obviously I'd want to be able to surf the Net, type up this blog, read other people's, and most importantly, write my novel.

So stepping back from the buzz, I don't really need a tablet computer. For me to buy a tablet computer, Apple (or anyone) would have to create a new "need".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.