13 December 2010

Caridad Pineiro

Caridad Pineiro is a NY Times and USA Best-Selling Author and she's visiting, today. Squee! Even better, Caridad's bringing pics. I know it makes me weird, but I love other people's travel photos -- maybe because most of my travel and adventure happens via books. Add in a sneak peek at the romantic setting of Aztec Gold, Caridad's January release with Carina Press and I'm in heaven. [Did I mention the link to an excerpt from Aztec Gold? No? It's at the end of the post, read on.]


If you can't wait till January (and why should you?), Stronger than Sin is Caridad's recent release from Grand Central Publishing and it is amazing. A Top Pick from Night Owl Romance and Amelia Richard from Single Titles sums it up this way, "A thoroughly believable premise makes STRONGER THAN SIN an engrossing plus absolutely fascinating paranormal romance." Irresistible!


Welcome, Caridad :)


***


It’s always great to be able to include real life in the stories you write.  It creates another level of authenticity if you can describe the sights, smells and flavors based on what you experiences.


When I wrote my latest release, STRONGER THAN SIN, I relied on nearby locales along the Jersey Shore for that paranormal suspense.  I wanted to share with readers those things I loved about the natural beauty of the shore and the many unique towns I was able to visit for the locations in the novel.






For AZTEC GOLD, I used a very different location –an Aztec temple deep in the Mexican jungle.


Although I haven’t been able to visit the Mexican jungle, I have been lucky enough to visit a temple in Mexico during a trip I took for my day job. I was attending a conference in Mexico City and on one of the days of the conference we were able to visit Teotihuacan, a pre-Colombian city about 40 kilometers outside of Mexico City.


During its peak, Teotihuacan was thought to have held as many as 200,000 residents, although the ethnicity of those inhabitants is up for grabs. However the name Teotihuacan was given to the city by the Nahuatl-speaking Aztec centuries after the city had fallen to attacks from an assortment of invaders.


It’s an amazing place with its two pyramids – one to the sun and the other to the moon – and its long central avenue – the Avenue of the Dead – which is lined by smaller structures which the Aztecs believed to be tombs, resulting in the name of the avenue.


This is a view of the avenue and the Pyramid of the Sun from the Pyramid of the Moon.




This is a view of the avenue and the Pyramid of the Moon from the Pyramid of the Sun.




Despite my fear of heights, I am happy to say that I overcame that fear and climbed to the top of the Pyramid of the Sun. It was quite a view from there!


The heroine in AZTEC GOLD-Cynthia Guerrero-also has to face her fears.  As a child her famous anthropologist parents dragged her all around the world until their untimely deaths and because of that, Cynthia prefers to stay in the safety and quiet of her job in the museum where her expertise is used to review and document ancient discoveries.


Cynthia’s lover-Rafael Santiago-is totally different.  An Indiana Jones-type adventurer, Rafe is afraid of nothing, except maybe losing Cynthia because of her fears.  But when Rafe disappears on an expedition to find an ancient Aztec temple in the Mexican jungle, Cynthia treks into that jungle in order to discover what happened to her lover.  Cynthia will soon find herself reunited with Rafe, but also battling an Aztec demi-goddess vampire so that their love can triumph.


For an excerpt of AZTEC GOLD, which will be available from Carina Press on January 3, 2011, you can visit http://www.caridad.com/books/paranormal/aztec-gold/.


Thanks for taking the time to visit with me!

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos! Sounds like a fantastic story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole -- I second the "wonderful photos". Need I mention I love coffeetable books as much as I like other people's holiday snaps? These are great photos.

    Caridad (or anyone who's visited) -- The Avenue of the Dead is such an eerie name. Do all the tourists (I'm busying envying them) take some of the eerie out of the atmosphere, or do the pyramids remain imposing no matter what?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenny and thanks for having me with you! I hope to scan some more photos from this visit to share with you, especially the views from the tops of the pyramids. The Aztecs believed that you were closest to the higher powers at those heights, especially the eagle which was the symbol for one of the highest ranks an Aztec warrior could reach. It's no wonder the eagle is on the Mexican flag. The avenue is eerie and it was named the Avenue of the Dead by the Aztecs because they believed the many small structures off the avenue were tombs. The city was actually built by an earlier civilization and then "recycled" by the Aztecs. I hope to one day return to Mexico and visit some other temples and then head to Peru to go to Macchu Picchu. I so love the history of the Americas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. Love these pictures. Your story sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's fascinating how civilisations build on top of one another -- each puzzled by who has gone before and finding them eerie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally interesting, Jenny. Beneath these pyramids were many other structures which had been used just to build the height of these pyramids.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the pictures of Mexico...and I too have a fear of heights...glad you could conquer yours to climb at the top. I bet the view was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not phobic about heights the way I am with spiders, but I remember climbing up a lighthouse -- great view and then disaster struck. Going back down the stairs, they were made of metal grille -- I could see straight through them. Eek!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.